Good Tidings of Great Joy
By Rev. Larron D. Jackson, DMin
“Then the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people.” (Luke 2:10) NKJV
The Christmas season is many things to many people. It is a time of gift giving and receiving; for family and friends to come together; and, a time to give praise to God, through word and song. “Joy to The World!” is my favorite Christmas song. It captures the essence of God’s plan of salvation! It is my hope and prayer that as the Christmas season unfolds you will experience the joy that comes from knowing “the real reason for the season”.
In our text, Luke paints a soul stirring picture of the holy night that “God became flesh”. Luke said the night the Christ-child was born was both ordinary and extraordinary. There were some un-named shepherds keeping watch over their sheep at night when, suddenly “the glory of God shined all around them and an angel appeared and began speaking to them. Scripture says that the shepherds became afraid. In an effort to comfort their fears, the angel said, “Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people. For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.” Following that announcement, Scripture says the heavens were filled with the mass choir of Zion singing praise unto God! The shepherds then went to Bethlehem and found all that the angel told them was true. Immediately they became evangelist and they went back to their sheep praising God filled with great joy!
“The Good Tidings of Great Joy” that the angel brought to the shepherds is still available to all who declare their faith in Jesus Christ! We can yet rejoice because:
- The love of God is still putting salvation in our reach! (Jn. 3:16)
- We have peace with God by our faith in Jesus Christ! (Rom. 5:1)
- Of our faith in Jesus Christ we can still draw joy from the well of our salvation! (Isa. 12:3)
- Jesus Christ has promised never to leave us without help as we follow Him! (Jn. 14:16)
- There is no limit to the redeeming power of God through Jesus Christ! (Heb. 7:25)
- Nothing can separate us from the love of God made real through Jesus Christ! (Rom. 8:31-39)
- We have the unending promise of Jesus Christ’s power and presence as we follow Him in faith! (Matt. 28:20) And;
The “Good Tidings of Great Joy” will keep on unfolding as we live into our faith in “God’s Unspeakable Gift” (II Cor. 9:15), our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
Prayer: Almighty God, we thank You for Your “Unspeakable Gift” Whom You sent to redeem us back to You. May the lost be forever drawn to “His Marvelous Light”. May the redeemed forever dare to live boldly for the advancement of His kingdom on earth. In Jesus Name we pray. (Amen.)
Rev. Larron D. Jackson, DMin
Ministry and Mission Coach, Denver Cluster